PC does not recognize PRS-600 when plugged in to synch.

Need any kind of Tech support for the Sony eReader or the Sony Library Software? Need help using a LRF, BBeB, PDF or ePub file? Ask your questions here!

Postby CraigBailey » Sat Feb 19, 2011, 9:19 pm   [Post 1]

Your Sony Reader Version: PRS-600
Where are you located? Cincinnati, Ohio
What Library Software are you using: Sony Reader Library

Did you authorize your software and reader? If using ADE you MUST authorize (see Troubleshooting Database for directions)! Yes
Windows Operating System: XP
Name OTHER if applicable (i.e. Mac, Linux, etc):

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Rest the reader with no luck. Checked to be sure Device Lock was set to OFF on the reader (It was.) Returned the reader to original settings with no luck.

Description and Message
When I connect my PRS-600 reader to my PC using the original factory cable, I hear the beep telling me my PC senses a new device has been attached. But when I go to My Computer, no device shows up. On the screen of my reader, I see the picture of a USB plug in the upper right corner of the screen so it thinks its attached successfully. Without the PC or the reader library application recognizing the reader, I can not even attempt to synch. I have verified that the reader Device Lock is not on and I have tried to reset the reader but can not. Any suggestions?
CraigBailey Offline

Cash on hand: 41.00
Device: PRS-600
Member Reputation: 0

Re: PC does not recognize PRS-600 when plugged in to synch.

Postby Judy2291 » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 1:42 am   [Post 2]

Hi Craig - I think everyone has gone to bed for the night so you might not get a response until tomorrow. I'm not a tech person but I do have a 600. Have you tried a soft reset and full charge before you try to connect it? And if you don't change your preferences in the library software, the library launches every time you connect the reader and it's hard to troubleshoot. You might want to turn the launch and synch off if you're having problems. Here's Lilly's instructions if you want to try that.

Don't connect your reader and open the library software. First, go to your Sony Reader software. The first thing is to Edit and Preferences and uncheck "Launch Reader Software every time the device is connected." Second, when you plug in the reader, go to sync. There should be a folder tree there with checkboxes. Just uncheck everything for autosync.

Once you get that done, give it a full charge for at least 3-4 hours if you're using a USB. DIsconnect from the USB and give it a soft reset by holding the reset button down with a paperclip and count to 5. When you turn it back on, give the reader time to format before you plug it back in to the computer and launch your library. Hopefully it will show up.

I want to add that alot of reader problems can be solved by giving it a full charge. Why Sony didn't include a wall charger is a mystery but it uses a PSP wall charger if you happen to have one in your house. Other wall charges could damage your reader. You can buy a PSP charger on eBay for under $10.

Tomorrow there should be others on who can help if you're still having problems. Remember to close your library software before you disconnect your reader, don't just pull the plug.
Judy2291 Offline

Cash on hand: 7,744.00
Device: PRS 300, 350, 500, 600, T1 and Kindle 2
Member Reputation: 5

Postby CraigBailey » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 7:14 am   [Post 3]

Thanks for the advice. I shut off the auto launch and synch setting in the reader library. Also I let the reader charge on the USB cable overnight and then performed a soft rest and then turned it back on. It appears as though the soft reset doesn't do anything - i.e. no reformatting or anything. I also did a hard rest as well (Power off, reset button, power on, and < and Volume+ at the same time. When I did this, all my books, music and pictures that I had on my reader were erased (no problem, still have them on my PC). After all that I connected it to my PC, but no different. The PC still does not recognize what device it is, only that something was attached.

Something ion your note does make me wonder though. I got tired of always using the PC/USB to recharge the reader. Had to take my PC on trips just to charge my reader! So I bought a standard USB wall charger and used that. Is it likely that I have damaged my reader by not using a special Sony wall charger?
CraigBailey Offline

Postby Judy2291 » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 1:56 pm   [Post 4]

If it's more than about 5V you can damage your reader. Wait for Lilly or one of the moderators to get on today. The only other thing I can think is either you reader or computer hasn't been authorized.
Judy2291 Offline

Cash on hand: 7,744.00
Device: PRS 300, 350, 500, 600, T1 and Kindle 2
Member Reputation: 5

Postby lakegirl » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 2:19 pm   [Post 5]

Craig, have you tried using a different USB port on your computer? Also, when it's plugged in and you hear the beep that tells you the computer is recognizing it, does the Reader screen say only that the USB is connected and charging or does it say "Do Not Disconnect?"
lakegirl Offline
GMod
GMod

Cash on hand: 8,976.00
Device: 350p, 950, T1r, T1b, T2w, Tablet P
Member Reputation: 10

Postby CraigBailey » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 3:35 pm   [Post 6]

Yes I have tried different USB ports but that doesn't seem to help. When I plug the reader in and get the beep, I only see a note that says "USB Connected". Also on my computer, the device never shows up as a recognized device. For instance I normally can go to "My Computer" and see the name of the device connected whether that be a camera, iPhone, etc. At one time "Sony Reader" showed up here when this was working. I get a little icon in the PC system tray that I never saw before as soon as I connect the reader. When I mouse over the icon, it says "Safely removed USB mass storage device". It appears the PC recognizes that some type of USB device has been connected but doesn't know exactly what kind.
CraigBailey Offline

Postby lakegirl » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 4:01 pm   [Post 7]

That's strange that it shows up in the tray but not in (My) Computer. If it shows up, it should be in both places and the Reader should say Do Not Disconnect. Had you inserted or removed a memory card or memory stick recently? I don't know if that could make a difference but I'm just trying to cover all the bases because when the Reader is recognized by the Library software, those will show up there too. Those would also open AutoPlay unless you changed a default. Have you tried another cable? If you have one from a camera or something, you might give that a try. That might help narrow it down. Other than that, I'm about out. Maybe Lilly or someone has some other ideas or you might want to get help from Reader support.
lakegirl Offline
GMod
GMod

Cash on hand: 8,976.00
Device: 350p, 950, T1r, T1b, T2w, Tablet P
Member Reputation: 10

Postby wiigina » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 4:45 pm   [Post 8]

I had to go into devices in the control panel and find it and update the driver that way. Go to the device manager and scan for hardware changes . It should be under portable devices.
wiigina Offline

Cash on hand: 27.00
Device: PRS-600 & PRS-300SC

Postby wiigina » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 4:48 pm   [Post 9]

Another thing you could try since you said it did work before, is to do a system restore on your computer back to when it was working.
wiigina Offline

Cash on hand: 27.00
Device: PRS-600 & PRS-300SC

Postby CraigBailey » Sun Feb 20, 2011, 6:02 pm   [Post 10]

SUCCESS!!!!! Went into Control Panel and uninstalled the reader, then reinstalled it. As soon as I did that, it immediately recognized the reader. Then I had to reauthorize the reader. I tried to synch it and all the free stuff on the reader synched up quickly. But it never would synch any of the purchased books that were on my PC. It would start synching and then just hang. So I opened the reader up like a disk drive in My Computer and then opened My Books in another window and just manually copied each book from the PC to the reader. That worked. Not sure why the synch didn't work but I'm declaring victory for today and going to read my new books! THANK YOU ALL FOR HELP!
CraigBailey Offline

Next

Return to Tech Support