Reader Store

Anything related to the Sony ebook readers! (Stop: Do not post tech support questions in this forum, please use the Tech Support forum).

Reader Store

Postby bpmurray » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 4:02 am   [Post 1]

I don't see any discussions about the reader store anywhere on the forum so please redirect me if this is not the correct place to ask this.

I'm based in Ireland but there is no reader store entry for Ireland as one of the very few exceptions for Western Europe. Probably for historical reasons Ireland is usually associated with the UK market and in this kind of service is normally included as an option. Is this omission deliberate or an oversight? And is it possible for me to purchase books from Sony, or do I have to use Amazon/Barnes & Noble/etc., all of which are quite happy to take my money (unlike Sony)?
bpmurray Offline

Cash on hand: 79.00
Device: PRS-505
Member Reputation: 0

Reader Store

Postby roy le coeur » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 9:58 am   [Post 2]

bpmurray wrote:I don't see any discussions about the reader store anywhere on the forum so please redirect me if this is not the correct place to ask this.

I'm based in Ireland but there is no reader store entry for Ireland as one of the very few exceptions for Western Europe. Probably for historical reasons Ireland is usually associated with the UK market and in this kind of service is normally included as an option. Is this omission deliberate or an oversight? And is it possible for me to purchase books from Sony, or do I have to use Amazon/Barnes & Noble/etc., all of which are quite happy to take my money (unlike Sony)?

There is a fledgling UK Sony bookstore http://lu.ebookstore.sony.com/. They've been trying to get it running properly for months and months. It only has a limited selection, even after all this time and half the functions don't work. I am led to believe that most peeps use Smashwords or Kobo in preference, although any Epub retailer should be fine.
roy le coeur Offline

Cash on hand: 1,617.00

Reader Store

Postby Judy2291 » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:00 am   [Post 3]

I couldn't find anything from Sony about Ireland but Eason's website said the Sony Bookstore is not avaiable in Ireland.
Judy2291 Offline

Cash on hand: 7,744.00
Device: PRS 300, 350, 500, 600, T1 and Kindle 2
Member Reputation: 5

Reader Store

Postby lakegirl » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:11 am   [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum, bpmurray!

I'm in the US so there's lots I don't know about the other regions but I'd recommend that you do some specific research about buying from B&N. In the US, though NookBooks are ePubs, their proprietary DRM means they can't be read on Sony Reader even though Reader Store ePubs can be read on Nook. Also, Kindle e-books are an entirely different format and can't be read on Sony Reader or e-ink Nook.
lakegirl Offline
GMod
GMod

Cash on hand: 8,951.00
Device: 350p, 950, T1r, T1b, T2w, Tablet P
Member Reputation: 10

Reader Store

Postby eyespy » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:37 am   [Post 5]

roy le coeur wrote:
bpmurray wrote:I don't see any discussions about the reader store anywhere on the forum so please redirect me if this is not the correct place to ask this.

There is a fledgling UK Sony bookstore http://lu.ebookstore.sony.com/. They've been trying to get it running properly for months and months. It only has a limited selection, even after all this time and half the functions don't work. I am led to believe that most peeps use Smashwords or Kobo in preference, although any Epub retailer should be fine.

Tesco also sells epubs in Ireland and the UK, with the Adobe DRM that plays nicely with Sony Readers.
"A paper-based readermajig? What are we, cavemen?" ~ Homer Simpson
eyespy Offline
Mod
Mod

Cash on hand: 5,054.00
Device: PRS-350, PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Member Reputation: 15

Reader Store

Postby eyespy » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:39 am   [Post 6]

:welcome: bpmurray! It's nice to meet you.
"A paper-based readermajig? What are we, cavemen?" ~ Homer Simpson
eyespy Offline
Mod
Mod

Cash on hand: 5,054.00
Device: PRS-350, PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Member Reputation: 15

Reader Store

Postby roy le coeur » Tue Sep 11, 2012, 3:39 pm   [Post 7]

In my earlier reply I suggested Kobo who, in case you did not know, power the WH Smith E-bookstore. I know WH Smith have branches in Ireland so you should have zero difficulty.
roy le coeur Offline

Cash on hand: 1,617.00

Return to Let's Talk Sony!